Wednesday, April 20, 2005

How fit are you

Having decided about Why and When of MBA the time has come to take a stand on Where to get an MBA from.It is like choosing a pair of shoes. Which is the most important factor that will decide your shoe. Will it be the color or style or cost? Of course all these factors are very important but there is a one critical factor without which you can forget buying shoes. It is your size. There is always one single size which will fit your feet. Little bigger or smaller the size you wont be comfortable with your shoes. Then you think about color, style and cost and you can arrive at a decision on choosing your pair of shoes.
Translating to MBA terms it is called 'Fit'. What 'Fit' again. You might argue the most cliched term in bschool lingo. My dear friends truth even cliched is truth always. Let me give an attempt in describing the Fit.
My case - Professional aspirations - Looking at a General Management program. Not a career changer. Already has 6 years + experience. More of a career enhancer. Looking at Business roles within technology organizations. More knowledge sharing can happen among people of substantial experience with multi cultural and functional background. I am willing to take time of from my work and absorb the MBA experience fully.
Translating to MBA terms - A general management program building solid management skills while opportunity to explore and extend my competencies in business terms. An MBA program neither filled with freshers (Like most Indian Schools) nor with top management types (Sloan Masters, Executive MBA etc). So Full time program is ideal and if its shorter then it suits me well.
My Case - Personal. I would like to go back to India to avail the in numerous opportunities as well as be with my family there. So a top MBA program well recognized in India will be an ideal fit. Cost wise I am looking at reasonably priced programs.
Translating into MBA terms - Personal attributes -1 Year MBA, Peers with solid work experience, multi cultural and multi functional interaction, Well recognized in India, Reasonably priced.
General attributes - top school, good professors, solid curriculum, Leadership opportunities, Career Opportunities and Strong network..
Now are you so stupid enough that you see the color, style and cost pick up a shoe and later discover that it doesn't fit you. No we all are intelligent people and we choose our shoes wisely.
After my scribbles I have come at a decision about which schools I am targeting
Correct Fit - IIM A Pgpx, ISB, Oxford, Insead and CEIBS.
Ultra Correct Fit - IMD, Ashridge
Comfort Fit - MBS, Cranfield.
More drops will trickle....