Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Vastrapur & Vikram Sarabhai - Making of an MBA

IIMA - a world class institution with over 44 Years experience of educating leaders.
Dr Vikram Sarabhai, the father of Indian Space program and few other spirited individuals started this school on December 11, 1961...
IIM Ahmedabad is the premier business school in India. One of the top schools in Asia. And now it has become the hunting ground for international recruiters as well. Traditionally the 2 year Pgp course is the flagship program of IIM A. Kids with relatively few years of experience or none form this program. I am not looking at this program but at the newly created 1 year Pgp program for executives.
Lets see why I find this program as a best fit for me..
I want a top MBA program which is well recognized in India. No other institute can beat IIMA in this parameter. The content of the program is very much of my liking. 1 year, general management focus, small and focused study group - target audience 50 experienced students. Matured students - lot of knowledge sharing can happen. Excellent academics. Top professors of the country. 15-10% of International student mix. Good functional mix. Excellent post MBA opportunities. Strong network. Relatively with in my budget. Less Opportunity costs. International project is like the cherry on the ice cream. I have decided its my best fit..
Personal bridges - Gujarat. I like this state. My undergraduate school was at Surat. I like the people, culture and food etc.
Now lets see what are the opportunities and risks of this program..
1. Opportunities:-
a. Since the first program one is automatically blessed with Founder member tag
b. Opportunity to shape the program. Since a new program even sky is not the limit for new initiatives. How about a Technology conference at IIM A. We will bring the leading business minds from technical world in a one day conference moderated by a top IIMA professor. I am thinking on the lines of an early tech conference. India needs one and that too from a leading business school.
c. Lifelong network.
d. Trend setters in Indian Business school education.
Risks:-
a. New program. No set rules. evolve constantly
b. How the infrastructure will be shared between pgp and pgpx.
c. Relatively less numbers vs ISB. How the landscape will change.
Now lets see what IIM A requires as part of application and how I stack up
IIM A Myself
Good GMAT Good
Substan Exp 6+ - Good
Leadership/
Management 5 team - Moderate
Good acad Good.
Extra Curri Average
Career Progress Good
Pre MBA Sal Good
Qualitative Items Dont Know.
This is how I stack up against IIMA. I am confident of atleast getting an interview Invite. I am already planning to build the background knowledge about IIMA, Faculty, Students etc etc..
More trickles on the way..

Free Gyan:-

People of vision, above the clouds of doubt,
speak not without substance