Wednesday, April 27, 2005

IIM Ahmedabad,Yale and La Jolla

Do you find any similarities between IIM A, Yale and Salk Institute La Jolla..

How about 1963 and 1974.. does it make any sense..

How about AIA 25 Year Award.

I am talking about Louis Kahn, one of the greatest architects of last century who designed IIM Ahmedabad circa 1963 (Institute of Public Administration in those days) , Yale Center for British Arts circa 1973 and the inspiring Salk Institute at La Jolla.

What I find curious with this legend is that Light forms an integral part of his architecture master pieces. Though I havent visited IIMA I have been told that it is kind of spiral in shape with indoor suited for habituation and outdoor sunny. Also this is a brick building without any glass and there are gaps in the building through which light enters and fills the space beautifully. Though I am not an architectural student, I am curious because most of his thoughts have derived from Nature itself and there is a search for truth and simplicity in his architecture. This is the essence of Nature - True, simple and functional..

I am visiting the Yale center for British Arts this weekend to see firsthand the AIA 25 year award winning classic designed by the master himself 1 year before he died..

cheers..
Nature Interpreter.
'