Thursday, May 26, 2005

Leadership and Persuasion

Persuasion is one aspect of Leadership. I read an article about Persuasion in CIO magazine and was impressed. The author emphasizes content as well as context in scenarios where lot is at stake.

Also the author presses on 'Establishing a credibility' for any successful persuasion.

I have been wondering how many times I have failed to sail my points across in meeting even though valid. Looking back I can see atleast couple of cases where context would have really helped to turn the tide in my favor. One incident I remember is when I had make a presentation about recently completed project to my companies top management. I made a powerpoint packed with all metrics/ROI for client/New business won because of the successful completion of this project etc.

Stage was set but our VP came late 15 minutes. I started, breezed through the entire presentation and ended. Mid way I realized that some thing had gone wrong and VP looked disinterested. What should have been an excellent presentation turned out to be a damp squib. I later came to know that he was not happy with our quarterly results which were just out that morning and boy here Iam preaching how my Project had generated new businesses for our company. Though my contents were cent percent apt the context didnt help me. I should have realized the bad quarterly performance and altered my presentation accordingly concentrating on Execution efficiency instead and leave the new business talk for a later day..

Lesson learnt. Adapt your presentation to suit the audience mood. Before going into a major presentation a little status update on audience and latest happenings is absolutely essential.

adios.