Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Dew drop memories

My first memory of him goes back to my child hood. He had a petty shop at the end of my street. He was middle aged; pot bellied always wearing a yellow neck less t shirt. Whenever I used to pass by his store he used to fondly call me and enquire about my health and studies.
There were occasions when I have got chocolates and groundnut sweets from him. He was also strict on other hand. During rainy seasons I along with my friends spend most of our time outside the house. If I hear a distant thunder, next minute I am out of my house fooling my mother 'Mom I am at Ganesh's house' or 'Mom I am visiting Uncle's house to see raindrops falling on the pond'. But I often end up playing in the ground opposite to petty shop. When I return home I always find my grandfather with a stick waiting to grace me. It meant that the Yellow T-shirt villain had paid a visit to my house reporting all my mischief.

On one day during a heavy monsoon season I was playing with my friends in the ground opposite to petty shop. Water outlets were heavily flooded and while trying to kick the football I lost my balance fell forward. I was hurt heavily with blood running down the nose and all over the face. I lifted my head and saw a yellow giant running towards me. I lost my conscience. When I woke up I was in the city hospital surrounded by my amma, father, grand mom, grandpa and other friends & relatives. I scanned the room and found my yellow giant savior at the corner of hospital room. He was smiling at me with all affection.

Years rolled by. I joined engineering college and went out of town. During Sem breaks I used visit my hometown. I seldom had time to observe things going on my hometown as I was busy with my friends who used to come over to my place during holidays. Then one day my mom enquired whether I visited the Shop uncle at the Street corner. I was engrossed in India Pak cricket match and mumbled something. On the day I had to return to college, my mom was packing a lot of eatables and she ran short of elastic bands to tie them. Understanding the situation I jaunted to the Petty Shop at the corner. I saw him after a long time; he was quite old then with wrinkles on his face and faded specs on his nose. He smiled with the same affection and enquired about my health and studies. Being in a hurry I threw a 5 Rs note, snatched the elastic bands and answered him over my shoulder. I had crossed at least couple of houses by then.


I graduated went to Live in Europe, North America, Married and settled. On the last visit home I was happy to spend time with all my family members. There was a famous religious festival and lot of activities was going on in the ground nearby. I walked to the ground and enjoyed the activities to for some time. Then something struck me. There was this man wearing a dirty Yellow shirt & potbellied having a petty shop opposite to the ground. I turned and saw a tailor shop there. With thumping heartbeat I walked over and asked the man busy sewing a cloth. Sir there was a Yellow t-shirt guy running a petty shop. Where has he gone? The tailor looked up and answered ' Sir I believe you have come here after a long time. He was electrocuted while trying to save a small girl few monsoons back'.

My heart stopped for a moment. I felt as if some one pricked my heart with a needle. I have been so selfish, so engrossed with my things that I failed to appreciate a Beautiful Life. I failed to recognize a wonderful person. Even though he was a giant I had ignored his presence. Tears started rolling my eyes.

Tailor asked me 'Sir why r u crying? Shall I bring something for u'.

I turned my back towards him and started to walk away.
I felt a cold breeze and in distance I heard a thunder stroke.